Technology Transfer Manager
The Technology Transfer Office (TTO) team of the University of Vienna within the DLE Research Services and Career Development supports the transfer of knowledge and new technologies of the University to possible applications, usually through industrial partners in Austria and abroad.
About the University:
The University of Vienna, founded in 1365, is a comprehensive university, the oldest in the German-speaking world and one of the largest in Central Europe. The University of Vienna is the largest teaching and research institution in Austria with more than 90,000 students and more than 9,800 employees, 6,700 of whom are scientists and academics. The scientists and academics are concerned both with knowledge-orientated basic research and problem-solving applied research. One of the main objectives of the University of Vienna is to join the ranks of the leading research universities of Europe; therefore, it intends to support its researchers and to create the best-possible conditions for research and innovation. The Technology Transfer Office is a subdivision of the Research Services and Career Development department, which is responsible for the professional assistance and support of academic colleagues. Its main tasks include supporting scientists in raising third-party funds and managing large grants, exploiting and commercializing IP including negotiating collaborations with partners from industry, but also providing advice, support and training, especially for early stage researchers.
To expand the team, we are looking for a Technology Transfer Manager to support the team in the field of physics and related areas in a variety of tasks, including:
- Evaluation of new technologies
- Monitoring and coordinating activities in connection with patent attorneys and offices, including filing and prosecution
- Contract negotiations with companies, in English and German language, relating to collaborations, technology transfer agreements and licenses, monitor and manage the execution of these contracts (fees, royalties, redistributions)
- Communication with funding bodies (e.g. FFG, AWS)
- Working with researchers to enhance commercialization of new university technologies in the field of physics and all related scientific areas
- Train and advise researchers and entrepreneurs of start-up projects in the management, protection and enhancement of University of Vienna's intellectual property
- Identifying commercial strategies for transferring technologies to industry, including commercialisation through translational funding or through spin-out ventures
- Participation in the strategic management of the intellectual property portfolio of the University of Vienna
We are looking for someone for a long-term engagement in our department. The advertised position is a permanent position with a fixed-term contract for the first year. It will be transferred to a permanent position after this period on mutual agreement.
- A completed University degree (MSc or PhD) in Physics, Engineering, IT or Mathematics is required, additional degree in IP law a plus
- Team player; client-oriented with good interpersonal skills
- Outstanding time management skills with ability to deliver to demanding deadlines
- Oral and written fluency required in German and English
- Great interest to establish oneself professionally in the field of technology transfer and to continuously expand expertise in this respect
- Experience in the field of technology transfer in academia or in a related function in industry is highly desirable
- Interest in the promotion of scientific research, contact with companies, commercial aspects related to technology transfer and intellectual property
- excellent MS Office skills
What we offer:
- Diverse and interesting challenges within one of Europe's largest universities.
- An open, friendly, flexible and international work environment
- A salary commensurate with skills and experience (in accordance with the University's collective bargaining agreement)
- An opportunity to expand and deepen your knowledge in the field of technology transfer in the context of the University of Vienna, including external training courses and conferences.
- This is initially a fixed-term contract for the first year. It will be transferred to a permanent position after this period on mutual agreement.
- Extent of Employment: 40.0 hours/week, full-time position (part-time will be also considered)
- Job grading in accordance with collective bargaining agreement: §54 VwGr. IVa with relevant work experience determining the assignment to a particular salary grade
- Reference Number: 12146
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (firstname.lastname@example.org , http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 17.10.2021, mentioning reference number 12146
For further information please contact Zinner, Lucas +43-1-4277-18224, Sanchez Romero, Inmaculada +43-1-4277-18246.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
Human Resources and Gender Equality of the University of Vienna
Reference number: 12146